In the United States, nearly 60,000 people are diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease each year. Within the next few years, that number is expected to grow significantly. A progressive neurodegenerative disorder, Parkinson’s causes debilitating brain cell death that leads to deficiencies in cognitive function, movement, and mobility.
Neuro Challenge Foundation for Parkinson’s (NCF) is a local 501 c 3 non-profit organization dedicated to improving the quality of life of people with Parkinson’s and their caregivers. NCF serves more than 2,700 people affected by Parkinson’s every year at no charge. We strive to achieve our mission by providing individuals with Parkinson’s disease and their caregivers A Better Approach to Parkinson’s.
A Better Approach to Parkinson’s includes:
• Care Advisors – The NCF Care Advisor helps people with Parkinson’s and their caregivers navigate the complexities of managing the disease by providing individualized support and community resource referrals for boxing, cycling, movement and yoga classes, voice therapy, art therapy and more.
• Monthly Educational and Support Programs – Care Advisors coordinate and facilitate monthly programs in Sarasota, Manatee, Charlotte and Pinellas counties. Participants in NCF’s monthly programs gain valuable information while having the opportunity to meet others also facing the journey with Parkinson’s while being enveloped in a community of caring and support.
• Distinguished Speakers Series (DSS) – Semi-Annually held mid-sized events (100-200 attendees) that typically feature two local speakers presenting on various topics that are important to the Parkinson’s community. DSS events are currently held in Manatee, Charlotte, Pinellas, Highlands, and Marion counties.
• Health Care Provider Education Program – The Health Care Provider Education Program provides training about Parkinson’s, usually with CME (Continuing Medical Education) or CEU (Continuing Education Units) credits, to health care providers. The program is designed to help non-neurology based health care providers to better identify and treat their patients with Parkinson’s.
• The Annual Parkinson’s Symposium – The Symposium is held in partnership with the Sarasota Memorial Healthcare System. The Symposium features presentations from Parkinson’s experts with a special presentation from our partner. The Symposium has a capacity crowd each year of 550 attendees.
• The Parkinson’s Expo – NCF’s signature annually held, day-long event created to educate, engage and empower the Parkinson’s community. The Expo features several presenters who are nationally renowned Parkinson’s experts. More than 1,400 people attended the inaugural Parkinson’s Expo in 2018 making it the largest event of its kind in the country.
All programs and services are offered at no charge to participants. That is made possible through our generous donors who want to support the Parkinson’s community. Whether the gift is $10 or $10,000, it makes a difference.
NCF is a local organization, and 100% of donations are invested in local programs and services. Accordingly, 82% of every dollar is spent on programs. We have a very actively involved Board of Directors with 11 members who are all volunteers.
To find out more, please visit NeuroChallenge.org, or to schedule an appointment with a Care Advisor, please call 941-926-6413.