MICHELLE PENNIE, MD, Board Certified Dermatologist
Many of us have tried various pampering facial masks to get our skin glowing. Some of them have probably been made in our own kitchens with ingredients like yogurt, honey, lemon, and avocado, but there is only so much that a mask can do. After all, it can only penetrate the top skin cells, and its effects are usually temporary. In addition to skin care, eating specific foods can get your skin illuminated from the inside out.
The Top Foods That Dermatologists Recommend
to Help Purify, Brighten and Tighten Your Skin Naturally from the inside out:
• Green Tea-Full of antioxidants and polyphenols fights free radicals, contains EGCG (Epigallocatechin gallate), which flushes out toxins and speeds metabolism
• Turmeric – Powerful anti-inflammatory
• Avocado – Healthy fatty acids help to hydrate the skin
• Olive Oil-Contains heart – healthy fats, but also boosts the function of your thyroid, which regulates metabolism and flushes out toxins.
• Coconut Oil – A medium chain triglyceride that contains high levels of vitamin E, and it has potent antifungal and antibacterial properties
• Fatty Fish – Omega-3 fatty acids, which are incredibly important for your skin and brains health and vibrancy
• Bright vegetables (red peppers, carrots, blue potatoes) – Contain high levels of antioxidants, carotenoids and vitamin c
• Leafy Greens – Full of vitamin K, which helps with arterial and kidney decalcification, as well as strong bones and teeth
• Berries – antioxidant rich berries help to lower cholesterol, prevent gray hair, aids in weight loss and detoxification
• Cucumber – Helps to flush out water retention and hydrate the skin, contains vitamin K, B, copper, and potassium
• Greek Yogurt – Packed with vitamins and probiotics this treatment helps to keep your skin clear
• Tomatoes – Contains lycopene, which helps to shield us from the sun’s harmful rays naturally
• Beets – Help to detoxify your skin through antioxidants, which creates an anti-inflammatory effect
• Citrus – Loaded with vitamin C, which helps to trigger the production of collagen
• Cruciferous Vegetables – Promotes collagen production through vitamin C, zinc and selenium
• Oysters – Selenium and zinc-tighten the skin and improve elasticity
• Hot Peppers – Contain capsaicin, which increases metabolism by approximately 20-30% and keeps that rev going for hours after you’ve eaten them
It’s important to remember to eat natural, whole foods for the majority of your diet. In doing so, your skin will have a beautiful luminosity, and you’ll be healthier for it overall.
Screenings, Professional Products, and Medical and Aesthetic Treatments:
A small investment of your time can help save your life. Living in Florida, we all know the importance of sun safety and skin cancer screenings. Every hour a person dies of melanoma, and this year alone, over 76,000 new cases of melanoma will be diagnosed. On average skin cancer screenings take about 10 minutes, which could potentially save your life.
Over the counter products may have similar ingredients or similar sounding ingredients to medical skin care lines, but the grade and concentration levels are not equivalent. The majority of these products do not have a delivery system which means they are not reaching the dermal layer to make any changes to the skin. Also, there are guidelines and FDA Regulations that monitor specific products like Retin-A and hydroquinone, so over the counter products that you can purchase at the drug store, will not have access to, or the ability to use those same ingredients or strengths. In regards to Retin-A or retinol, this is a prime example of the confusion most people face when purchasing skin care. Retinol is available in many over the counter products, but in pharmaceutical skin care, the active ingredient in Retin-A, called Retinoic acid. A more stable form of the vitamin is Retinaldehyde which is less irritating and not sun sensitive. These ingredients are proven to build up collagen, treat acne, and penetrates deep enough to show real anti-aging results. A consultation with a professional skin care provider can recommend a custom home care regimen for your skin concerns.
If you’ve noticed that your skin is starting to look dull, red, blotchy, inflamed, has noticeable red veins or acne, IPL (Intense Pulse Light) is the answer you’ve been longing for.
IPL Treats the Following:
• Broken Capillaries or blood vessels
• Acne Scars
• Reduces Pore Size
• Unwanted Hair
• Dull Skin
For healthy skin, your options are endless. Paradise Dermatology takes your skin’s health seriously from screenings, medical treatments, advanced skin care, cutting-edge technology, laser therapy, injectable therapies, body treatments to chemical peels and more, they’ve got you covered.
With two offices to serve you, Paradise
Dermatology offers comprehensive dermatologic care including full body skin checks, medical
dermatology care, Mohs skin cancer surgery, cosmetic treatments along with the latest laser technology to keep your skin healthy and beautiful.
3355 Clark Road
Sarasota, Florida 34231
699 S. Indiana Ave
Englewood, FL 34223