In the United States, every year, more than 200,000 people are diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease. It is one of the most prevalent neurodegenerative diseases in the world, and its effects are distressing for both the individual and their loved ones.
Although each patient’s symptoms are different, the most common indicators are:
• Small handwriting
• A masked facial expression
• Spastic movements during sleep
• Quiet voice
• Slouched over appearance
• Loss of smell
Unfortunately, after years of research, the cause of Parkinson’s disease has still not been determined. However, some studies are suggesting that pesticides and chemicals play a role in the death of the cells in the brain.
Individuals with Parkinson’s disease have brain cell death in the substantia nigra area of the brain. Some of the neurons in this area of the brain produce dopamine. When dopamine is decreased, the control of movements and expression are negatively affected. The less dopamine a person has, the more uncontrolled movements they will experience due to a lack of signals from the brain to the body.
Along with medications and procedures, therapeutic services have proven to be highly effective in helping patients stave off the degenerative symptoms of the disease, and in some cases, it may also help to improve mobility and coordination.
Professional services like physical and occupational therapy, along with speech therapy may help people with Parkinson’s to regain some ability in performing daily tasks and may make their quality of life more agreeable and fulfilling.
Lehigh Acres Regional Medical Center understands that Parkinson’s patients and their loved ones may benefit immensely from the appropriate therapies for Parkinson’s and other disorders. Their dedicated staff is always ready to help with evaluating and preparing an individualized program for you and your family.
“Lehigh Acres Outpatient Services
Whether you are living with chronic pain or are recuperating after an injury or surgical procedure, Lehigh Regional Medical Center’s rehabilitation specialists provide a full range of services to help you regain independence and achieve your recovery goals. Every individual is different, so our rehabilitation specialists provide a customized recovery plan that addresses the unique needs and abilities of each patient.
• Physical therapy – Physical therapists provide a customized plan to help build strength and endurance, and assist with improving balance and mobility. They provide education, various therapies, exercise supervision and offer support and motivation throughout the recovery process.
• Occupational therapy – Occupational therapists help patients regain strength and endurance to perform daily activities such as bathing, dressing and personal hygiene, as well as home-management skills such as preparing meals, doing laundry and other household chores.
• Speech therapy – Speech and language therapists assist with everything from swallowing difficulties to memory deficits, voice dysfunction and language barriers. If full recovery is not possible, therapists help patients and family members learn compensatory techniques to allow the highest level of functioning possible.
• Pain management – Our pain management doctors can provide a range of options to help alleviate pain.
• Additional therapeutic services – Our multidisciplinary team of dietitians, psychologists, social workers and case managers can deliver a full range of services to meet individual recovery needs.
To access outpatient rehabilitation services, a doctor’s referral is required.
For further information, please call Outpatient Rehab at (239) 303-0495, Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., or visit LehighRegional.com.
Lehigh Acres Regional Medical Center, Outpatient Therapy, Outpatient Services© 2017 Prime Healthcare