By Dr. John P. Landi, MD, FACS, RPVI, RPhS, Diplomate of The American Board of Venous and Lymphatic Medicine
Since I am a vein specialist my eyes tend to focus on veins every place, but especially in the legs since they are usually the most prominent.
Last weekend while I was sitting outside the movie theater waiting for the show to start I just happened to be people watching and noticed the amount of “Veiny” legs that I saw. This led me to think of what would be the reasons why people would want or not want to have their leg veins fixed. See if any of these apply to you.
1. Your grandchildren want to know what is growing on your legs.
2. You live in Florida but you never wear shorts.
3. You love tennis but are embarrassed by the way your legs look.
4. You love golf but are embarrassed by the way your legs look in shorts.
5. You will never wear a bathing suit because of the veins in your legs.
6. You still think that treating leg veins requires the old ligation and stripping operation that your mother or grandmother had.
7. You think that treating your leg veins is painful.
8. You think that treating your leg veins requires downtime.
9. You think that treating your leg veins would require you to wear compression stockings for long periods of time.
10. You think that treating your leg veins is only temporary and that varicose and spider veins will come back.
11. You still think that sclerotherapy is painful and involves using normal saline.
12. You do not know that veins have tiny valves and when these are abnormal they lead to varicose and spider veins.
North Park Center
9955 Tamiami Trail North,
Naples, FL 34108
(99th Avenue North across from
the entrance of Pelican Marsh)